Payment of tuition and other fees by the deadline after course registration
- During February(Spring Semester) and August(Fall Semester)
- Tuition should be remitted to the account in the tuition bill posted on Intranet
- Student who fails to register or request leave of absence during the registration period will be dismissed for failure to register or failure to return from leave of absence.
Special Scholarships for Outstanding International Students
- Students who completed 12 credits(excluding Pass/Fail courses) or more in the previous semester
Students who completed 12 credits(excluding pass/fail corses) or more in the previous semester
Value(Only givien to students enrolled in reular semester)
From Fall 2013 Freshman
Above GPA 3.3/4.3: Tuition 100%
Above GPA 3.0/4.3 below 3.3/4.3: Tuition 70%
Above GPA 2.7/4.3 below 3.0/4.3: Tuition 50%
Above GPA 2.3/4.3 below 2.7/4.3: Tuition 30%
Above GPA 2.0/4.3 below 2.3/4.3: Tuition 10%
From Fall 2017 Freshman
Degree Seeking Students
Above GPA 3.7/4.3: Tuition 80%
Above GPA 3.5/4.3 below 3.7/4.3: Tuition 70%
Above GPA 3.0/4.3 below 3.5/4.3: Tuition 50%
Dual Degree Students
Above GPA 3.0/4.3 : Tuition 50%
Int'l Students who recommended by the institution with a valid agreement with SMU
Above GPA 3.3/4.3: Tuition 100%
Above GPA 3.0/4.3 below 3.3/4.3: Tuition 70%
Above GPA 2.7/4.3 below 3.0/4.3: Tuition 50%
- Registration Dates
during February(Spring Semester) and August(Fall Semester)
※ For more details, please refer to the Academic Calendar
- Procedure: Sookmyung Portal System(Internet) → Academics → Course Registration → Serch and Regisiter for Courses
※ Please be note that class size is limited and filled on a first come first served basis after the first regular registration period(beginning of February or August) has passed
credits per year Per Semester Per Year from 9 credits (for those who are in their 7th semester or more: 2 credits) to 19 credits (Division of Pharmacy or Education: 26 credits) 36 credits per year (Division of Pharmacy or Education: 50 credits)
- Students who received academic warning: within 18 credits (Division of Pharmacy or Education: 20 credits)
- Students with the GPA of 3.70 in the previous semester: 3 more credits exceeding the semester's standard credits
- Social services, educational service, career planning and mentor program courses shall not be incorporated into the credits ceiling for regular or summer or winter terms
- Limits of credit earning per year or semester are different from the above table for the students admitted prior to 2015 (including 2015)
- Course Adjustment and Cancellation
- Course add or drop period : First week of the semester
- Course cancellation period : Fifth week of the semester
※ After the designated period, it is not possible to add or drop courses.
Leave of absence
Students who cannot attend classes more than two weeks shall apply for temporary leave.
In principle, new students, transfer students, and readmitted students cannot take away from the school in the first term right after their admission. However, if there is a special reason such as severe illness preventing the study, please contact to the office of Academic Affairs to consult. Foreign students, who need to take temporary leave for Korean Language Study, shall consult with the office of International Affairs.
- Request Period
From the 2 weeks before the first day of the semester(Spring Semester: the 1st day of March, Fall Semester: the 1st day of September) to one working day before the Final Exam Period.
ⓐ Within the two weeks from the beginning date of Spring or Fall semester
Sookmyung Portal System(Intranet) → Academics → Request for a leave of absence → Enter requested information → Confirm
ⓑ After the two weeks from the beginning date
- Student who paid tuition fee : Fill out the application form of leave of absence → submit to the office of Academic Affairs
- Students who received scholarship or with the overdue student loan: fill out the application form of leave of absence → submit to the office of Academic Affairs (Upon payment of tuition fee after deduction from relevant school scholarships, the scholarship amount shall be excluded from the amount to be reimburse after applying the tuition fees reimbursement criteria relative to the total tuition fee amount by reimbursing the remind of the amount to be deducted from the actual amount paid. In the case when there is deficient amount for deduction, the corresponding amount shall be paid for by the student.)
- Student who has not paid the tuition fee: fill out the application form of leave of absence → visit the office of Finance and Accounting and pay the required portion of tuition fee → submit to the office of Academic Affairs.
- Total length of leave of absence : up to 3 years
- Each temporary absence period : limited to 6 months or one year per 1 time
- Tuition Refund (Leave of absence after registration)
Tuition Refund (Leave of absence after registration) Form Submission Date, Refund Amount Form Submission Date Refund Amount 2 weeks from first day of classes Full tuition refund Up to 30 days from 15 days of classes 5/6 of tuition refund Up to 60 days from 31 days of classes 2/3 of tuition refund Up to 90 days from 61 days of classes 1/2 of tuition refund
※ Remarks : Please consult with the office of Academic Affairs, if a student needs to take self-employed or maternity leave of absence.
Notes (For Degree-Seeking International Students)
- International students must visit the Office of International Affairs (OIA) to apply for leave of absence. (Fill out the application form → Get signed on application form by International Students Coordinator → Visit the office of Academic Affairs)
- If the purpose of a leave of absence is for Korean language training, you must change your visa from D2(study abroad) to D4(training). -
- OIA is obligated to report any changes of student’s information to the Immigration Office within 15 days of the date of change. Once the report is made, your student visa (D-2) will be automatically expired and you must leave Korea within 15 days. If not, you will be reported as an illegal immigrant and the Immigration Office will not approve your visa later.
Returning to School from Leave
Registration for student to continue their studies once their temporary leave of absence term expires
- Request Period : Late January to early March
- Procedure : Sookmyung Portal System (Intranet) → Academics → Request to return to school → Enter requested information → Confirm
※ For students who need to obtain D2 visa
- To issue a new certificate of admission, students must contact OIA (email@example.com) no later than 60 days prior to the beginning of the new semester.
- Prepare the required documents and submit to OIA.
- Copy of bank account
- Copy of Passport
- Copy of health insurance certificate
If you apply for D2 visa later than the semester begins, the immigration office may charge you a penalty fee.
Early return from Leave of Absence
Registration for students on a temporary leave of absence for a year returning after 6 months (one semester)
- Application period : Late January to early March
- Procedure : Sookmyung Portal System (Intranet) → Academics → Request to early return to school → Enter requested information → Confirm
Voluntary withdrawal from studies due to unavoidable circumstances
- Application period : at all times
Print out completed voluntary withdrawal form (Download from the Sookmyung website: Sookmyung Homepage → Quick Link → Academic Affairs → Other Information → Document Forms) → get signature of academic advisor and dean on the form → Complete the prescribed Procedure(visit the office of Scholarship Services, Library, Finance and Accounting Office) → Submit voluntary withdrawal form to the office of Academic Affairs
- Tuition Refund
Tuition Refund (Leave of absence after registration) Date of withdrawal, Refund Amount Date of withdrawal Refund Amount Up to 14 days from first day of classes Full tuition refund Up to 30 days from 15 days of classes 5/6 of tuition refund Up to 60 days from 31 days of classes 2/3 of tuition refund Up to 90 days from 61 days of classes 1/2 of tuition refund
Students who meet the conditions of expulsion shall be expelled from the School.
Conditions of Expulsion
- Students who do not return to school after the temporary absent period without completing the extension of temporary absence procedure
- Students who are admitted to another school
- Students with poor academic achievements and no potential to continue the study
- Students who fail to complete the registration during the prescribed period
Student who wish to continue their studies after voluntary withdrawal of dismissal owing to failure to register, failure to return from absence or academic probation can apply for readmission
Students dismissed owing to Academic probation can apply for readmission after one year from the dismissal. Expelled students due to disciplinary punishment or who took voluntary withdrawal in their first semester cannot be readmitted.
Students shall meet the following requirements for graduation.
ualification of Graduation for Degree-Seeking Students
|semester||Registered no less than 8 semesters||Currently enrolled students only|
||Acquired total 134 credits or above(student ID beginning with 11~14)||* Student ID beginning with 15 or more|
-Humanities and Social Studies: 125 credits or above
-Natural Sciences/Engineering/ Arts and Physical Education: 130 credits or above
* Students admitted to the school prior to 2011: 140 credits or above
|GPA||1.7 or above/4.3||Students admitted to the school prior to 2010: 1.5 or above|
|Graduation Thesis||Refer to the 'School Regulations for Detailed Enforcement' : Table 9 (Launch of the Graduation Paper System)
||Each corresponding major|
|English tests for graduation requirement||Refer to the 'School Regulations for Detailed Enforcement' : Table 10||Foreign students are exempted|
|Information skills certification||Refer to the 'School Regulations for Detailed Enforcement' : Table 11|
|Korean language proficiency test requirement||Refer to the 'School Regulations for Detailed Enforcement' : Table 12 (TOPIK Level 4 or above)||Students Id beginning with 14 & whose admission category is 'Foreign students whose parents are not Korean' only|
Graduation Requirement Certification System
Students completed all necessary courses prescribed in the school regulations by satisfying all required credits based on the classification of course completion may be graduated only if the students pass all of the following.
- Graduation thesis(or general tests, experiment and practicum report, presentation, foreign languages skill tests etc.)
※ Exemptions : Students who are selected in the liaison major or bachelor/master degree integrated course may be exempted from the graduation thesis of the respective major.
- English Graduation Qualification Examination
- Information Process Qualification Certification
- Korean Graduation Qualification Examination(foreign students whose parents are both foreigners only)
Graduation Thesis: all the 1st Major・Double Major students are required to submit a thesis
- Qualification to apply thesis
Graduation Thesis Duration/Date Contents Remarks Refer to the Academic Calendar Register for the thesis Sookmyung Portal System Be notified the assigning advising professor and thesis evaluation schedule Each corresponding major Advising period Each corresponding major Submit thesis or complete graduation exam, graduation presentation of practical technique Student → Department office Submit thesis (or Language proficiency test/Graduation exam/Graduation presentation of practical technique) results Department office →Academic affairs services
About the assigned graduation thesis format, please refer to the School Regulations for Detailed Enforcement: Article 49 and Table 9 (Launch of the graduation papers system)
English tests for graduation requirement (Foreign Students are exempted.)
Students admitted from the academic calendar of 2001 shall pass assigned level of designated English proficiency tests.
1st majoring Arts and Physical Fitness students admitted to the school prior to 2001(including 2001, transfer students with undergraduate diploma, Koreans residing overseas and foreign students(in time of admissions), vision-, hearing-, speech-impaired students, and part time students falling under article 7 section 3.
About the assigned English test for graduation requirement, please refer to the School Regulations for Detailed Enforcement: Article 49 and Table 10 (Level of pass for each type of SMU-MATE or G-MATE) Please be aware that foreign students shall pass their graduation thesis though their English Accreditation is exempted.
Information skills certification (International Students are exempted)
Students admitted from the academic calendar of 2001 shall submit designated information skill certificates.
1st majoring Arts and Physical Fitness students admitted to the school prior to 2001(including 2001) from the Arts and Physical Fitness category, transfer students with undergraduate diploma, Koreans residing overseas and foreign students(in time of admissions), vision-, hearing-, speech-impaired students and part time students falling under article 7 section 3, and the students of the first major or double major in IT Engineering, Computer Science, Software Convergence, Visual & Multimedia, Industrial Design, and Environmental Design
About the assigned Information skills certification, please refer to the School Regulations for Detailed Enforcement: Article 49 and Table 11 (Types of information licenses)
Korean Language tests for graduation requirement
For foreign students admitted from 2014(student ID starts with 14) & whose admission category is foreign student whose parents are both foreigners shall pass assigned level of designated Korean language proficiency tests.
About the assigned Korean language proficiency test, please refer to the School Regulations for Detailed Enforcement: Article 49 and Table 12 (Korean Language Proficiency Test)
How to check my total credits earned
Procedure : Sookmyung Portal System(Intranet) → Academic Affairs → Graduation → Table of Total Credits