- Graduate School of Public Policy and Industry
- Graduate School of Life Style Design
- Graduate School of Clinical Pharmacy
- Graduate School of International Service
- Graduate School of Music Therapy
- Graduate School of Traditional Culture and Arts
- Graduate School of TESOL
- Graduate School of Distance Learning
- Graduate School of Social Education
- Graduate School of Human Resource Development for Women
Graduate School of Public Policy and IndustryThe Graduate School of Public Policy and Industry aims to nurture leaders by researching academic theories and applications related to administration and policy information and teaching them in scientific ways.
Culture & Art Administration
- Based on the general understanding of arts and culture fields that will spearhead the development of the country in the 21st century, this department cultivates the abilities to plan, decide, and execute cultural and arts policies in order for Korea to develop into a leading country in terms of arts and culture.
Social Welfare Policy
- Based on various theories which aim to realize the welfare society, this department examines problems centered on the social security system, welfare policy, and welfare service transfer system and seeks a new direction in these areas.
- The Department aims to nurture rational and unique business managers by researching the necessary theories and practices through profound academic research and by both learning and teaching the application methods of academic theories.
- As the best IT consulting organization incorporating the best ubiquitous website evaluation organization, our university performs related research using the Department's abundant experience and know-how. Furthermore, we are taking the lead as an organization to nurture global u-Business leaders and global u-Government leaders and to conduct research in business and electronic government in the ubiquitous environment and the Blue Ocean strategy, as well as consultation on thesis research and projects, lectures, writing, education, and website evaluation consulting projects
Graduate School of Life Style Design
Floral Art & Design
- Floral Art and Design is an art based on nature and form. This department researches not only practices which utilize flowers but also ways to establish this art as a major future genre of creative artistic design by analyzing and experimenting with the traditional and modern trends using various materials. By studying a wide variety of theories and formative principles related to floral arts design, we seek practical solutions through the selection of detailed research topics and deepened analysis and proposals.
Fashion Coordination Design
- In the modern fashion industry, which is unfolding into various fields by harmonizing the formation of arts with the elements and principles of design, we aim to create expert women professionals. This department applies design principles and elements to fashion, helps to create beauty of figure, material, color, and form, and cultivates practical technological expertise.
Living Style Design
- Living Style Design refers to the project of creating and producing a living human environment using various design elements and materials. The production range is wide-ranging, spanning interior, exterior, renovation, and small living accessories design to display, dining space creation, and party/event production. This major aims to cultivate practical abilities through practical courses offered by the faculty which consists of field experts.
Graduate School of Clinical PharmacyThis graduate school nurtures talented professional pharmacists to contribute to the maintenance and development of pharmaceutical systems through the cultivation of practical abilities and an education in clinical pharmacy and social pharmacy, which are necessary for securing and promoting rational medication in changed medical and industrial environments due to the separation of dispensaries from medical practices.
Graduate School of International ServiceSookmyung GSIS was established to cultivate specialists in the fields of Cross-Cultural Communication, International PR, International Organizations, Non-governmental Organizations and Human Security with a vision of globalization and world peace in the 21st century.
International Public Relations
- The course explores the world of cross-cultural and cross-border public relations that is increasingly becoming the central area of public relations in this age of globalization. Various theories on communications as well as public relations are studied from an international perspective. Building and maintaining mutually beneficial relations with the foreign public is the key concept. Practical applications of public relations are also studied together with relevant cases at home and abroad. Special attention is given to the diverse fields of today's public relations, ranging from community relations to investor relations. Crisis management and other current public relations issues are also covered with heavy emphasis on their practical application. The course attempts to bridge the academic and practical worlds of public relations.
Global Security Cooperation
- This course explores the institutional structures, political processes and impact of international organizations within the larger context of world politics. International organizations, both governmental and non-governmental, play an increasingly prominent role in efforts to resolve a wide range of global problems. While the course will cover the traditional problems -- international security, the global distribution of wealth, and threats to social welfare -- particular attention will be given to international ecological problems. Because of the scope and importance of these areas, the activities and influence of the United Nations System and INGO activities are given special emphasis in the course.
Sports and Public Diplomacy
- The Sports and Public Diplomacy course is intended to train specialists who work for non-governmental diplomacy through sports interchange. As a new major program, Sookmyung Women's University has established a relationship with sister-school Loughborough University which is famous for its outstanding work in sporting excellence. Loughborough University has long been recognized, nationally and internationally, for its high-level teaching and research in the sport and exercise sciences, as evidenced by the latest results in the External Subject Review of its degree programs (23 out of a maximum possible 24 points) and Research Assessment Exercise (5 star rating). It has played a major role in helping to define the nature of these disciplines and in establishing their academic, professional and sporting credibility.
France Cultural Management
Graduate School of Music Therapy
The Sookmyung Women's University Graduate School of Music Therapy was established in February 1997 as the first of its kind in Korea under the objective of nurturing professional music therapists, and has been executing orthodox education methods to satisfy the music therapy curriculum of the USA which has a 50-year history. The graduate school offers a Master of Music Therapy degree course and requires students to take a total of 33 credits (39 credits if music therapy studies and music psychology classes are included) and night classes are also offered. It includes 2 majors such as the Clinical Music Therapy major and the Healing Music Pastorate major and each course contains practical work during semesters as well as 4 months of internship.
Clinical Music Therapy
Healing Music Ministry
Graduate School of Traditional Culture and Arts
- The objectives of this graduate school are to nurture professional women dancers who are creative and service-minded, by applying academic research to the dancing arts systematically and by training in traditional dance practices based on the educational principle of cultivating leading holistic women dance artists who can contribute creatively to the development of world dance art through the expression of the traditional culture and art paradigm of Korea.
- Since its establishment in 1997, the Graduate School of Traditional Culture and Arts has been the hub of higher learning for traditional culture, fostering systematic studies in our heritage and education of expert knowledge in traditional culture and arts.
Traditional Dietary Life Food
- The Traditional Dietary Life Food major is a course which nurtures experts successful in understanding the functionality, science, and art of Korean food and in promoting Korean food culture. The curriculum consists of traditional food, folk food, stored food, traditional wine practice, Eastern and Western food culture theory, and dining industry marketing.
Graduate School of TESOLThe TESOL MA program was founded by the Graduate School of Special Subjects, Sookmyung Women's University, in 1999. As the first program of its kind in Korea (one that offers Master's degrees in TESOL and CALL exclusively through the medium of English) the program is at the forefront of language education in Korea. Following this tradition, we take our role very seriously.
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
Graduate School of Distance LearningThe Sookmyung Women's University Graduate School of Distance Learning is promoting leadership qualities along with the competitiveness required in our knowledge- and information-based society by providing distance learning beyond the constraints of time and space. By digitizing the educational resources for cutting-edge professional knowledge and information technology, it is nurturing competitive talent and leaders to spearhead the 21st century global era by raising the quality of higher education.
Cosmetic & Beauty
- The Cosmetic & Beauty industry, which helps people to enjoy an aesthetically and psychologically beautiful life, is a cutting-edge industry currently expanding its spiritual, psychological, and socio-cultural elements while based on practical studies including chemistry, dermatology, arts, and business administration. The Sookmyung Women's University Graduate School of Distance Learning Cosmetics & Beauty major is a regular Master's degree course established to promote the quality of cosmetic & beauty experts needed in today's information-based society by providing distance learning with advanced, digitized professional education resources and by playing a leading role in the cosmetics & beauty field.
Business Administration for the Elderly
- Sookmyung Women's University Graduate School of Distance Learning Business Administration for Elderly is a regular Master's degree course established to nurture silver industry experts to lead the elderly society of the 21st century and to promote the quality of the Korean silver industry. It offers distance learning which transcends time and space by digitizing every educational resource by means of the latest professional knowledge and information technology. Since the participation of civilian organizations is increasing in order to meet the needs of a rapidly growing elderly population, we manage practical education which provides quality satisfactory service to the elderly by pulling the silver industry in the right direction. We intend to help the elderly in Korea to lead healthy and happy lives through the production of goods and services suitable to the needs of the elderly population. We aim to nurture experts working in various silver industry fields through academic and integrated research including elderly studies, business management, family studies, psychology, residence studies, pharmacy, food and nutrition studies, medicine, nursing, and athletics.
Distance Education & Technology
- The objective of this program is to nurture the e-Learning professional who can plan, design, develop, manage, and evaluate education programs to make effective and efficient education possible in fields where e-Learning can be applied--such as elementary, middle, and high schools, colleges and graduate schools, business training facilities, and vocational institutions. With that aim, it nurtures e-Learning experts well-versed in theory and practice and capable of creating new teaching-learning methods by providing a systematical curriculum in an effective teaching-learning environment, using digitized educational resources and the core capabilities of expert faculty.
Early Childhood Education
- The Early Childhood Education major is a professional and distinguished Master's degree course in Early Childhood Education which introduced the distance learning method for the first time in Korea to nurture the creative, independent, and open-minded individuals required in the 21st century. For students who are not able to participate in lecture-oriented education due to time and spatial constraints, the Early Childhood Education department operates under the practice-oriented curriculum of the e-Learning method, and offers nursery teacher licenses by means of practical fieldwork. In addition, it contributes to raising the quality of early childhood education by operating training courses developed under the objective of establishing expert child education courses for ordinary people which provide systematic knowledge about child psychology through in-service training using the Internet and multimedia, as well as raise the job performance abilities of teachers.
Creative Industry for Children
- The Sookmyung Women's University Graduate School of Distance Learning Creative Industry for Children major is a regular Master's degree course which aims to cultivate experts who can plan and produce animation, toys/games, and edutainment through child-related research and contents production technology learning. We hope that you, who have love for children, are reborn as contents experts through our excellent curricula and participate in leading the industry into the future of our country. This major is the only academic subject in which fields as various fields such as child education, design, and marketing are gathered together and managed in cooperation, and we plan to develop it as the focal major of our graduate school.
Graduate School of Social Education
- The Sookmyung Women's University Graduate School of Social Education has been offering the Play Therapy master's degree courses for the first time in Korea since 2004 to satisfy the need for experts in academic research into play therapy. This course is managed under the guidance of experts in an optimal practical environment, through which it participates in prevention and psychological therapy projects for the promotion of the mental health of our country by producing talented play therapists.
- Leadership is a social capability required in every area of human life which can be developed through education and training. In this course, students learn organized leadership theories and are trained in practical leadership through workshops and execution of projects. After finishing the course, students become leadership education instructors equipped with both theory and practice. The thesis writing required to complete the course includes the planning and development of leadership programs for specific target groups. This course is intended for acting staff of business enterprises and public organizations in charge of personnel, education, and human resource development, teachers, public servants, and future leadership instructors.
- The Sookmyung Women's University Graduate School of Social Education opened the first Eurhythmics major course in Korea in 2005 in order to produce qualified Eurhythmics leaders by means of more systematic and academic research. The Department of Eurhythmics raises the academic value of Eurhythmics by researching and developing the value of Dalcroze Eurhythmics in Korean music education, and produces social leaders by realizing the practicality of this study. It is our unique and proud curriculum to train in the collective arts through the psychological and physical approach of other artistic disciplines related to music. In addition, the program offers the International Dalcroze Eurhythmics License course through the World Dalcroze Eurhythmics Association activities in cooperation with the Juilliard School of Music, Dalcroze Institute.
- Piano Pedagogy involves learning how to teach piano. It is a practical field teaching the basic principles of playing the piano easily and interestingly so that students are encouraged to open their ears and interpret the musical notes by themselves.
- Golf Management Our graduate school offers the first golf management major in Korea as a regular Master's degree course under the objective of nurturing a high level of talent related to golf, which is a focal area of the current sports industry. Through intense theoretical and practical education for 5 semesters, intended for small number of elite students, it trains these students in a variety of practical knowledge and shapes them into high-class golfing professionals with international competitiveness in the golf industry.
- This department was started in 2007 to nurture influential leaders in the beauty art field who are equipped with creativity and professionalism and are continuously and systematically developing popular culture. The program is managed to produce influential leaders of the future beauty industry based on the service leadership philosophy of Sookmyung Women's University, and is focused on the establishment of in-depth study, future-oriented creative activities, and an intense curriculum.