In order to study in Korea for more than 90 days, you need to apply for a D-2 student visa. A student visa can be obtained at Korean consulates, usually overnight. It can be extended here in Seoul without having to leave Korea.
To apply for a student visa(D-2), you will need the following items:
- Completed visa application form (available at http://www.hikorea.go.kr)
- Valid passport
- Certificate of Admission (Acceptance Letter from Sookmyung Women's University)
- Bank Statement (or Scholarship Certificate)
- If you are a regular degree-seeking student : a minimum of US$20,000
- If you are an exchange student : 1 semester: more than US$5,000, 2 semesters: more than US$10,000
- Two color ID photo(3.5cm X 4.5cm)
- Visa Processing Fee (Single Entry: US$50, Multiple Entry: US$80)
- The required application materials are subject to change without prior notice. We recommend you to visit the website of Immigration Office (http://www.hikorea.go.kr) before you go to apply for visa.
If you already received a C-3 visa (short-term permission for general purpose) instead of a D-2 visa, you must change your visa status within 30 days after arrival.
There are two types of Visas; one is single entry, the other is multiple entry. If you want to travel abroad during your exchange program at Sookmyung, we recommend a multiple entry type of D-2 visa. The embassy or consulate will issue you a single entry visa if you do not specifically request a multiple entry visa.
If you want to study the Korean language, you should apply for the D-4 visa.
Student VISA Extension
International Students(with D-2 VISA) whose extended period of study is approved by Sookmyung Women's University beyond the current valid visa are rquired to apply for visa extension at the Immigration Office from one month before the expiration date to the expiration date.
- Application Form(available at the Immigration Office)
- Valid passport and Alien Registration Card
- Transcript(issued by Sookmyung Women's University)
- Bank Statement (or Scholarship Certificate): more than US$15,000
- Certificate of Enrollment
- Service fee(KRW30,000)